In order to begin healing in the body, MuQi at The Balance Point uses the Seven Great Healers of Chinese Medicine. These methods will begin the process of healing the body and decreasing stress.
The first healer is Air. This applies to breath and breathing.
Without air we die in a matter of minutes. Air is the cornerstone of life. Every moment of the day, your body exchanges carbon dioxide for oxygen to keep each cell alive and functioning. Deep belly breathing each night for 10 minutes is required as a start.-quote from The Balance Point
Signs of imbalance in air or breath:
- blue lips
- blue fingernails
- poor sleep
- muscle aches
- heart palpations
- circulation problems
- digestive problems
The breathing technique referred to as "belly breathing" uses the principles of air to oxygenate the body efficiently.
Diaphragmatic breathing is intended to help you use the diaphragm correctly while breathing to:
- Strengthen the diaphragm
- Decrease the work of breathing by slowing your breathing rate
- Decrease oxygen demand
- Use less effort and energy to breathe
Diaphragmatic breathing technique
1. Lie on your back on a flat surface or in bed, with your knees bent and your head supported. You can use a pillow under your knees to support your legs. Place one hand on your upper chest and the other just below your rib cage. This will allow you to feel your diaphragm move as you breathe.
2. Breathe in slowly through your nose so that your stomach moves out against your hand. The hand on your chest should remain as still as possible.
3. Tighten your stomach muscles, letting them fall inward as you exhale.The hand on your upper chest must remain as still as possible.
When you first learn the diaphragmatic breathing technique, it may be easier for you to follow the instructions lying down, as shown.-excerpt from Cleveland Clinic Diaphragmatic Breathing article
Once you have developed the correct breathing, then practice the technique daily, seated or standing. The practice of breathing helps heal your body in many ways and should be practiced as often as possible. To learn more about the Seven Great Healers, contact MuQi for a consult at Vim 360.